Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Tuesday 19th September

9.50am. There was a spectacular display at the peregrine watch this morning. It kept me rooted to the spot for three quarters of an hour - until I got cold in the gusty breeze. There were mallard and gulls on the river, which was low, showing a lot of mud, but apart from the jackdaws on my side not many birds were flying. I soon found out why! Two young peregrines were practicing their skills. Dipping in and out of the tree tops, maybe trying to dislodge a pigeon, chasing each other, and chasing anything else that flew around the quarries on the other side. At one stage one of the hawks stooped at such a speed towards the river that I lost sight of it. Then even a lesser black backed gull was attacked until it landed on the river. Just before I left a jackdaw strayed over towards the quarries, it narrowly escaped with its life after a high speed chase. I think the hawks were trying for a kill, but probably still lack the experience to be truly lethal. The wind made flying relatively easy, so that they could soar and glide without using too much energy.

No comments: