Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tuesday August 21st

At Sea Walls I spotted a large black backed gull on the mud - a Greater Black Backed Gull or a Lesser Black Backed Gull? Probably the latter since I think the legs were yellow, however the light was very poor, with a cold grey high cloud. Other small gulls, Common and Black Headed were picking food from the mud. Over the other side of the estuary South Wales was in bright sunshine. After the gull I noticed a small gaggle of Herring Gulls just below me on the mud at the edge of the river grass. They were clustered around something that looked at first glance like a small body with its arms splayed out, then I could see the head. A deer, probably a Roe deer, and now providing carrion for the gulls, and making the morning seem even more gray than it was.
Over at the Peregrine Watch the yew tree had a Peregrine perched in it, the bird moved occasionally, but did not fly. It was too cold to linger, so home to breakfast.

No comments: