Monday, December 31, 2007

Monday December 31st

I'm not exactly a 'twitcher', except for spotting new (for me) birds on my ride each morning. Maybe two this morning!
As I cycled down towards the White Tree a small yellowish bird easily kept pace with my bike at 30km/hr, it flitted along above the pavement with a kind of looping flight, and landed a few times, at first I though 'Chaffinch', then a closer look as it crossed in front, landed again on the opposite pavement, and wagged its tail at me, I thought, Ah, a Grey Wagtail, well away from its usually watery places. The last one I saw was down south of Chew Valley Lake, so they are around.
There was a little more mud on the Avon estuary this morning, rapidly diminishing as the tide came in, there were Redshank scattered at wide intervals, perhaps a dozen in all. Then, underneath Sea Walls I saw another small bird, plumper than a Redshank, also a little smaller, but with a very white undersides, from the top it looked dark. With such a dull morning light most birds look dark brown! Like the Redshank it was rooting around at the river-side in the mud. I could only see it from above, and did not manage to view it flying. What was it? My R.S.P.B. book helps a little, at least with possibilities. It was certainly not an Oyster Catcher; some form of Sandpiper? I could not see its legs from above, so could not judge their colour or length. A Turnstone in its winter coat? Possible, but it was too large, certainly not like the ones I saw in Brittany this year. On balance I go for a Common Sandpiper. Moreover the R.S.P.B. video from the link shows what I saw quite clearly, though in a rather different environment. Maybe someone else will see it and give a better identification.

No sign of any raptors, but they must be around. Maybe chasing the pigeons in Broadmead! A Very Happy New Year to all!

No comments: