Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tuesday, Wednesday October 28th, 29th

Cold weather is not conducive to cycling, so I walked to the Downs. On the river mud there are small groups of Redshank, their legs glowing red in the sunshine, on Wednesday I counted eight birds in a small group opposite the Peregrine Watch. The black headed gulls have regained their earphones, there were over a hundred of them on the football pitches of the Plateau. I also saw several Jays.

On Wednesday I walked over to the University to take a look at bubo bubo, Clifton's own Eagle Owl, as featured in the Guardian on October 10th. She was perched in the sycamore tree beside the steps up to University Walk from Woodland Road beside the Queens Building. Today, the best view was from the lawn beside BISC. She was a little difficult to see at first, but once spotted is difficult to miss! Enormous, majestic, beautiful, awesome, are all understatements, and sitting on a big thick branch with her tail protruding from underneath. There are reports of these owls breeding in Yorkshire, and the RSPB has commented on them, though I don't like the comment since it hints at culling! Whilst I love cats (I have three!), it is about time the local moggies learned some respect, they have had matters their own way with most of the bird population of the UK for far too long. Whilst I was looking at Bubo some old friends from Computer Science appeared and told me that the remains of a cat had been found under the tree, also that the owl was feeding on local grey squirrels. I also heard that local foxes take cover. We should also warn the corgi population!

No comments: