Thursday, November 06, 2008

Tuesday, Thursday, November 4th, 6th

On Tuesday I walked over to the Peregrine Watch, taking the route around the Downs roads. There were large flocks (hundreds) of Blacked Headed Gulls, mixed with a few Rooks, Crows and Jackdaws; since the grassland was very wet, the pickings must have been good. Some gulls made the most of Downland which had been churned to mud by a fun fair on Saturday last. One of the houses on Rockleaze has chicken in the front garden! I think that they were Cuckoo Marans - one of the worlds finest fowls for eggs. The tide was high, so not much to be seen. Just as I was about to leave the Peregrine Watch there was a commotion right in front of me, a peregrine chased a couple of Jackdaws, probably out of habit rather than hunger since it disappeared up into the Gully. The rest of the jackdaw flock arose from their perches on the cliff and milled around for a while before deciding that the danger had passed.
On Thursday I was on my bicycle again. The Downs were very cold, so it was not pleasant to linger at the Peregrine Watch - and my glasses steamed up rapidly when I stopped cycling. The river was very still, so that the reflections of the trees opposite were sharp in the water. Whilst I was looking at this the first Redshank flew in low over the water to land on the mud, the white flashes on his wings making him large and obvious.

No comments: