Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Wednesday 8th July

I watched one of the young Kestrels on the rim of the quarry, perched on a bare ivy branch. It was just hidden from the path, a few meters away from the traffic, and noticed by nobody except me. It preened, fluffed its feathers, spread and stretched its wings, hunkered down in the breeze, moved its head around like an owl - with no body movement - and stayed put for at least an hour. I went over to the Peregrine Watch and came back the bird was still there. It moved, but only down to a ledge below to join one of its siblings. So, where are the other two youngsters? I did spot a Raven sitting on the fence near the Austrian pines. Would a Raven attack one of the Kestrel chicks? If it was injured, maybe, but otherwise, probably not.
A large (Welsh?) school party was watching one of their number dressed up as a Peregrine (quite realistically!) at the Peregrine Watch. I wonder if they got to see the real thing this morning? I didn't.

No comments: