Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wednesday, Thursday, January 27th, 28th

I walked over the Downs to the Gorge both days. It is too cold to cycle, and I needed the exercise. No sign of the Kestrels yet, I hear that the Peregrines are courting, and have been seen around. I haven't seen them since before Christmas. On Thursday a Buzzard was gliding around over Walcombe Slade, she attracted attention from the Gulls, a couple of Ravens and a large flock of Crows, Jackdaws and Rooks. So nice to be so unpopular! It was amazing how she avoided her tormentors - a feint, occasionally a slight tumble, or just a change of direction. She circled for some ten minutes so that my arms became tired holding the binoculars. Then she came down over the river and up close past the Peregrine Watch, so that I had a fine view. She turned and came back again past me and towards Black Rocks, finally she moved off over Leigh Woods, still pursued by three Crows, and disappeared under the tree line.

No comments: