Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wednesday 24th March

Dull, a bit wet, but warmer than yesterday. The rain stopped by the time I reached the Downs. The Redshanks are back on the mud, over on the mud on the Leigh Woods side by Sea Walls. I counted 20 of them in a tight group, all busy probing the mud at the water side. A Kestrel landed in a bush close to the nest site, then took off and started to hunt all along the scrub and trees at the top of the Gully, I cycled over and watched him (her?) from below as he hovered. He disappeared into the Gully, but I could not see him there until he moved out back towards Black Rocks. At the Peregrine Watch a couple of ducks were speeding up and down river, one a Mallard, the other is a curious brown and white bird, I've seen it for several years. Maybe a cross with a domesticated duck. A Raven was just visible on the nest, there must be eggs by now. No Peregrines today.

I discovered another bird blog - see http://www.wildmonty.co.uk/ : Wild Monty - Wildlife sightings in the Montpelier, St Andrews, St Pauls and St Werburghs districts of Bristol, UK

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just found your blog - because of the link to Wild Monty to which I occasionally contribute. Interesting looking wildlife blog.