Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday 10th October

Around lunchtime, I cycled out via the Downs, around by Sea Walls, the past the Peregrine Watch, along the Gorge woodland path, down Bridge Valley (now fenced) and onto the Portway path.  From there to Sea Mills station and the towpath.  My plan was to try out the Optimus stove that I had for a birthday present by brewing a cup of tea.  I think that the river has flooded the tow path very recently, anyway, where I intended to brew and sit was covered in river mud;  the brew went poorly due to a slight breeze blowing the flame from under the stove!  Result, I used up all the propane before the water boiled - it did nearly boil - so I go the cup of tea.  The stove needs a small windscreen if it is to work properly.  Partial success with the plan.
Above the Raven's nest, high up, two Ravens were gliding around.  A young Peregrine was perched on one of the cliff pinnacles below and to the right of the Peregrine Watch.  He/she stayed while I watched from the Portway, preening feathers, and with an obviously full crop.   A little later when I got to the base of the Black Rock quarry cliff a Kestral circled, went into the woodland of Walcombe Slade, and dived onto something on the ground.  I don't think it caught anything.  By Sea Mills there were gulls on the mud, also a number of Redshank and a couple of Peewits, the latter are unusual visitors to the mud, so I was uncertain about what they were until I saw the crests.  By the Storm Drain on the way back I spotted a Dipper,  then a Cormorant landed ion the river beside it, another Redshank was exploring the nearby mud. 
The sun was out, together with most of Bristol, I returned up Bridge Valley Road and back over the Downs, home.

A rider.  With the collossal cuts due from the BCC in the budget they are still wasting money on goats.  Obviously they prefer looking after goats to looking after vulnerable people.

No comments: