Sunday, February 25, 2007

Friday, Sunday 23rd,25th February

On both days I passed the Peregrine Watch around midday. The tide was high, with only small stretches of mud on the river side. Only Sunday was eventful, first I spotted a redshank just below Sea Walls, I looked for a second bird, but could not find one, and by the time I looked for the first one again, even he had disappeared!
The usual Sunday group of birders were on watch, and this time there was plenty to see. As I arrived a juvenile landed in the Leigh Woods trees, scattering a group of pigeons from their roosts! Later a pair of the raptors were seen flying over the woods slightly further up river. A third bird was with them, someone said it was a raven, but it could have been the juvanile. This continued for a while, and since this is the time when the pairs return to their nests, I wondered if we were to be treated to a courtship display. I don't suppose that the younger bird would have been welcome! However, it was too cold to stand around for too long, so the last I saw of the pair was them coming in, first one, then a little while later, the other, to the cliff underneath us.

No comments: