Monday, February 26, 2007

Monday 26th February

The legs of two redshank positively glowed red in the sunshine as they fed on the mud under Clifton Rocks. Why were their legs so indistinct before? At the Peregrine Watch all was quiet at first, until another watcher pointed out a peregrine high in the sky towards the Clifton Suspension Bridge, she was gliding around, then coming down to tree level, then soaring up again. Once she made a swoop, and I saw another bird fleeing from him, she soared back up again, and worked her way in our direction. This bird was hunting, but I did not see a kill. She passed the Peregrine Watch, eventually she disappeared towards the cliffs to the right of the Watch, and I did not see her again. I think the Americans call the peregrine a 'duck hawk', and there were a number of mallard flying around, but no peregrine strikes. Earlier a heron came down river, and perched at the water outflow to the right, then a cormorant, to be joined by another from the river side. They both flew on down river. Finally a kestral flew right above us at the Watch, she disappeared off over the Downs. A really beautiful morning, I only left when I started to get cold - I'm in shorts and sandals now!

No comments: