Thursday, March 01, 2007

Thursday, 1st March

Two oyster catchers were on the mud just below Clifton Rocks' Cliff, I did not see any redshank. There was a very high wind, howling through the railings, the Council have continued with the repair of these railings - about time! When I passed the Peregrine Watch on my first circuit of the Downs, the jackdaws were wheeling around high in the sky, they were still there when I returned, but disappeared, and were nowhere to be seen. The reason was probably a hunting peregrine. I first saw her(?) just above Leigh Woods, she moved over the Gorge, and ascended, then circled. Slowly she worked her way towards the Watch, then high overhead, way up and circling, then she moved over above the woods on our side. Suddenly another peregrine dived at her, and I lost her. Courtship - or "keep off my patch"? Next, probably the same bird appeared over towards the suspension bridge, and resumed circling. I last saw her descending rapidly towards the woods, and lost sight of her. Where are they nesting this year?

No comments: