Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuesday, 18th September

This was the first morning since the spring when I noticed that I had cold toes and hands. Nevertheless, the Indian Summer continues. When I arrived at Sea Walls I noticed a lot of activity over in the quarry opposite the Peregrine Watch, then on arrival at the Watch I could see four or five Magpies and the two Ravens giving a small falcon a hard time. They chased it all over the quarry until it disappeared into a small tree at the top of the quarry; the Magpies disappeared at about the same time, and the Ravens exited stage right to the woodland. The next view I had was through a telescope, a small raptor with a light front could be seen sitting in a tree, it had rather long tail feathers, and we wondered if it could be a Sparrow Hawk. The size, where it was landing (in the trees), the way it flew, and the fact that it did not retaliate as a Peregrine would, leads me to think that, yes, this was a Sparrow Hawk. A pity we did not get a closer look. Home to sardines on toast for breakfast!

On Sunday Geraldine and I spotted a small hawk - also with a long tail on the TV aerial of the house opposite (on Cranbrook Road). I wondered at the time if this could be a Sparrow Hawk, it disappeared before I could get my binoculars.

No comments: