Friday, February 08, 2008

Friday 8th February

At 10am the river was higher and starting to flow rapidly to Avonmouth. There were three Redshank scattered on the mud opposite Sea Walls, at the Peregrine Watch there were no Peregrines perched opposite. No sign of yesterdays small wader puzzle. Some additional thoughts though, prompted by the Editors comment.

I tried to see the bill shape but could not. The top plumage was very dark, and the bird had a white undercarriage. From the top of Sea Walls, for a bird pretty well underneath me it is very difficult to see leg colour or flecks on the breast. My binoculars are 10x42 Opticrons. This is the second time I have seen this bird in about the same place, the first sighting made me certain it was not another Redshank. The latter are quite common on the estuary mud below Sea Walls as today's blog evinces.

No comments: