Thursday, February 07, 2008

Wednesday 6th February

Identifying birds is always a problem. This morning I watched what I thought at first was a Kestral, then a Sparrowhawk, finally deciding it was a Peregrine! I first saw the bird being mobbed by some local Crows, then it left them and started to climb, just how far up was not evident until I took the glasses off it. It was high, high up above Bridge Valley Road, then it went into a stoop - as only a Peregrine can. The two Peregrines were perched over in the Oaks opposite all this time, which I why at first I did not think "Peregrine".

My second identification is still a bit problematic.

At Sea Walls, immediately under the cliff among the rocks, mud, and gulls I spotted a small wader with a very dark back and a white underside. From above it was not possible to see much more. However this time there was also a Redshank nearby for comparison, and this new bird was considerably smaller. In my RSPB Handbook of British Birds there are a few choices: Dunlin or Knot in winter plumage, then Green Sandpiper or a Common Sandpiper. On balance I think I prefer Green Sandpiper as a slightly more common winter bird than its Common cousin. The Knot and Dunlin are much, much more common, but the winter plumage is darker. Has anybody reading this a better identification?

2 comments:

Alan Tilmouth said...

Did you note any other features? Leg colour? Bill length or shape in relation to the head? Were the underparts pure white or did they have flecks?

John Maher said...

No, see my comment on Friday 8th. The sighting was not good enough to get these features. No for want of trying!