Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Wednesday 21st March

Not a cloud in the sky, but the vestiges of the cold easterly wind, and a frost. The white mountain over in Wales - one of the Brecons - was clearly visible. The tide was high, but just on the turn with a lot of river debris floating downstream. I saw two cormorants, the first going down river under Sea Walls, more about the other later.
At the Peregrine Watch it was very quiet, a heron made its way up to the Docks, nothing but wood pigeons in Leigh Woods, and the flock of jackdaws. Then a peregrine appeared, she was a large bird, and she flew just out in front of me over the river, then back to Leigh Woods towards the Suspension Bridge, rising all the time. She flew up even higher, and started back down river, but high over Leigh Woods so that I nearly lost sight of her. However I managed to get view her with binoculars, she came back over me, probably 1000 feet up above the Gorge rim. Then I lost her. Five minutes later a peregrine - I assume the same one - appeared opposite just over Leigh Woods, and flew into the cliff below me. They must be nesting there this year. And the other cormorant? That appeared high above me, probably 500 feet up, I first saw it with the binoculars whilst looking for the peregrine, it was going down river. But so high! I wondered whether the peregrine would attack it, but nothing happened in my view.

No comments: